SoHum Health Foundation’s mission is to sustain high-quality healthcare services in our rural community.
A modern hospital for Southern Humboldt:
Our community hospital, Jerold Phelps, has been providing life-saving emergency and preventative health services to our rural community for 70 years. On January 1, 2030, new statewide seismic requirements will go into effect that Jerold Phelps Community Hospital will be unable to meet. If we are unable to construct a new hospital that meets these stringent earthquake requirements by 2030, we will have no choice but to close our doors.
Our vision is to relocate the existing emergency and acute care departments into a new hospital that would provide needed medical advancements to Southern Humboldt, meet changing seismic requirements, and minimize costs. The new campus will also include expansion and updates to our community clinic, laboratory, and radiology, as well as provide space to grow and better serve patients. Once the hospital and clinic move to their new home, SoHum Health will be able to expand our much-needed Skilled Nursing unit. We operate the only Skilled Nursing Facility in Southern Humboldt and always have a waitlist.
Support for SoHum Health Foundation will help ensure that every person in our community has access to high-quality emergency health services, right here at home.
Past Foundation Projects:
- SoHum Health courtyard beautification
- Wheelchairs for Skilled Nursing residents
- Purchase of Radiology Digitizer, Coagulation Analyzer, Respiration Monitor, Defibrillator, and other medical equipment as needed
- Remodel of activity room for Skilled Nursing residents
- Infrastructure repairs
- Purchase of new tablets for Skilled Nursing Residents to keep in touch with family during COVID-19 pandemic
- Installation of Fitness Zone exercise stations at Southern Humboldt Community Park for patient and community use